Why Ireland for SPVs
Ireland is the leading European jurisdiction for SPVs, structured finance and securitised structures. SPVs play an integral role in the operation of the international financial services industry and are used by a growing number of industries in Ireland including aircraft leasing, insurance / reinsurance, Irish regulated funds and securitisations.
There are more than 3,000 SPVs in Ireland with over €1 trillion in assets, representing over 26% of the European market by assets.
For over 30 years Ireland has been developing the infrastructure and expertise that offers a well-established environment for the global structured finance industry in Ireland.
- A well-developed infrastructure – With a network of specialist service providers, such as directors, advisers, listing agents and trustees, the industry in Ireland supports and services the widest range of structured finance deals. There are 3,900+ people involved in the structuring and servicing of SPVs and debt securities in Ireland.
- A highly regarded and trusted legal and regulatory regime – Ireland is an international jurisdiction that is a member of the EU and of the OECD. SPVs are established as companies in Ireland, and are subject to Irish laws, regulations and tax, which provide security, certainty and protection for investors.
- A European ‘passport’ – Once approved by the Central Bank of Ireland, securities issued by an Irish SPV can be accepted throughout the EU for public offers and/or admission to trading on regulated markets.
- A Common Law Jurisdiction – Ireland, like the US and the UK, is a common-law jurisdiction.
- Innovation and defining best practice – Ireland continues to lead the sector in determining and defining best industry practice.
- Double Taxation Treaties with 70+ countries worldwide – Ireland’s double taxation treaty network covers over 70 countries worldwide and the vast majority of global GDP.
- An efficient listing mechanism – Euronext Dublin has extensive experience in the listing of specialist debt securities.